Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Silence

Silence. It's something you don't come by very often these days. Everywhere I go there is always noise, whether it's talking, the clicking of someone texting, or the most popular: music. Yes, I do love music with almost everything within me, but there is a limit. Silence is a good thing. It gives you a chance to actually think clearly. I now some people who constantly have to have noise, which is usually always music. I also must admit that I am slightly guilty of perpetually playing music, even when its only background music.

I have heard of people saying that they need background music, but is this true?? NO! You do not need it. Silence is a gift, and we should actually listen to it. God made the Earth that way; He didn't put constant music or obnoxious sounds everywhere, so should we? We should appreciate the Silence, listen to it. I know that sounds a bit, well . . . stupid: "listen to the silence" but it is possible.

For example, when I'm at the beach, or even just outside, I hate music. I would much rather just listen to the Earth; the wind especially. In general just the "silence" of Earth though. Or even just at night. After everyone is asleep, instead of getting on FB, just listen. I think that the Silence of night is the best kind of silence. Everything is asleep, nothing moves, it's just . . . quiet. And I love it. I'm pretty sure if you tried it then you would like it too. It's actually refreshing in a way, just to sit back, relax, with nothing going on, blaring in your ear, or preoccupying your mind. Just the quiet, the Silence.

So just try it. Turn off everything: the phone, the computer, the tv, even the music. And just listen, think, or just go about your normal day, your chores, your work, school, your hobbies, etc, etc. Or maybe just start a little at a time. It could just be a bit everyday; just a few moments of complete silence. Maybe meditate, pray, or do your devotion. Just do it in silence. It may even open your eyes to new ways of thinking, as I know it has done for me.

I challenge you.

To the Silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment