Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Things



There is something that I love about New Things. Not necessarily things as in Christmas presents and birthday gifts, but things like rearranging my room for a new feeling, new pictures I've taken, a new day to wake up to, a new rain after a dry spell. I'm not sure what it really is but something about New Things always gives me a good feeling; for example in the morning I enjoy trying a new type of tea.
However there are many Old Things that I like more that New Things. Like old houses, old worn-out wood, old books, and old music.
There seems to be something about all of theses old, usually antique items, that I
absolutely love. I might be the feel of the worn texture or maybe that old slightly musty smell. Yet it could be the fact that every Old Thing has a story; it has been places, seen things, be used over, and over, and over again; it has been loved. Old Things intrigue me, draw me in. I want to know more about them, as if they could actually talk.
I do still enjoy New Things though. I guess it's more the fact that these things have their own journey to make; most of them already being used, worn, and loved. For example: the camera I got but only a year ago already shows the scars and scratches of use. But I love my camera; the memories it has brought me. Yes it is only a Material Thing, and I suppose this could look like I am contradicting my earlier post, but I'm not. I am simply saying that I like the feel of Old and New things, in a sense of their story, there use. Not just for the having and owning something. Nor to be obsessive with something or overly protective of a piece of plastic, metal, or wood.
Old things can be more than that, or at least that what it seems to me. And New things are just waiting to become Old things.

Everything grows Old eventually




No comments:

Post a Comment